We wanted to make something really special for some of our closest friends who have just given birth to a beautiful baby boy. As they are keen travellers we chose some vintage map fabric from our local material shop and coupled this with some wipe down material to make a gorgeous travel mat.
What you need:
- Material (around 50x60cm – or enough to lie a baby on comfortably) – we recommend Millie Moon in Frome (free delivery on UK orders).
- Wipe down plastic material for the backing
- A sewing machine
1. Cut out the three bits of material to your chosen size and pin together.
It also helps to sew across or along the padding in order to keep it in place within the mat as it is folded. This material had perfect lines to help guide us. It also helps to cut out the excess padding around the edge as below.
3. Take the plastic material (or towelling if you’d prefer) and put this on top of the mat. Sew around the edge (right sides together), ensuring you leave one end open this time.
4. Turn the mat inside out and fold in the ends, press.
5. Oversew (there are other ways to do this but this is the way we chose to do it for ease). You can also put bias binding around the outside too to add another dimension/colour.
Roll up the mat. Make a tie with the remaining material and some velcro. Or simply tie a ribbon around it.
A fabulous gift that really means something to the person you made it for.
We make bespoke versions of these mats. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if you have an idea for a friend. Costs start at £20 (£2.75 mainland UK delivery. Estimated delivery: 7-10 days).